Thursday, August 9, 2007

Another not-so-good Texas connection

From time to time, Texas shows up in the local paper, the Wisconsin Dells Events. This time the story is not so happy:
Beacon House Center for Family Enhancement has suspended its classes after the non-profit's teacher was arrested for possession of marijuana and is being held in Sauk County Jail on a warrant from Texas.

Kandi Miller, 54, was taken into custody in late July on a warrant from Nacogdoches County, Texas for unauthorized use of a vehicle, according to a spokeswoman from the Sauk County District Attorney's office.

Miller signed documents stating that she is willing to be moved to Texas for court proceedings there as soon as possible.

She has been held in the Sauk County Jail since July 23 where she remains currently, according to a jail spokeswoman.
I have written about Beacon House here before. (I gave them some dragons for their auction.) Because of this, they have had to cancel their educational program -- basically helping people learn how to negotiate the process of finding employment and affordable housing.

Tom is going on a canoing expedition on the Wisconsin River with Debbie Kinder next week. She is on the board for Beacon House. I have been looking for some place to do some volunteer work. I'll get him to mention that to her and see if Beacon House is the place to get involved.

2 comments:

David said...

Happy feast!

Michael Dodd said...

Mama sent the following in an email. Since she wanted to post it as a comment here, I am doing that for her:

One of the men Byron and I delivered meals on wheels to was found
dead in his home Tuesday evening. He had called Carol on Monday and
told her he had a doctor's appointment Tuesday and not to deliver a
meal. We deliver on Tuesday and Thursday. Carol forgot to tell me,
so we tried to deliver him a meal. Except for the fact he has dogs
in the house I would have gone in the house and found him. I knew
if I opened the door the dogs would get out. They are incorrigible
so I did not even try to get in the house. It could have been
locked. Tuesday evening a neighbor carried him his supper and found
him.

I learned today from a lady who rides the bus to the Center on
Monday, Wednesday and Friday that he did not answer the bus call for
his doctor's appointment so I guess he probably died in the night.

His name was Everett Chase. He was born August 21, l941, in Albany,
Wis. His body is being sent to Wisconsin for burial. He has one
son in Tyler, one in San Marcos and one in Dallas. He lived in
Beloit, Wis. prior to moving to Texas in 1992.

I wanted to write this as a comment on your Blog about the Texas and
Wisconsin connection but could not figure out how.

Love, Mama