Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Weather, work and computers

We got another inch of rain last night -- accompanied by long periods of rolling thunder and constant lightning. We didn't lose power and it didn't sound like any of the lightning was nearby, but it did go on forever.

Yesterday was a long day at work. One reason I feel like I am always behind at the office is that I do more than just Joe's legal work. For example, he is president of the Sauk County Chapter Wisconsin Right to Life, and although I assume they have a secretary, I do a lot of his correspondence for that. Recently he needed to send out about twenty Thank You notes to people for staffing the booth at the Sauk County Fair, and he decided that what he wanted to do was start a database so that he could do this as a form letter, sort who had helped with what and so on in the future. Which means he wanted Michael to do a database.

This is not a major thing -- I did stuff like this all the time for Retreats International on a larger scale -- but it is the sort of thing that does take time away from preparing pleadings, Financial Disclosure Statements, and so on. So I suggested I come in on an afternoon and that I be allowed to do that and nothing else so that it could get done. He agreed. I also decided to use some of the afternoon to get Evelyn's guardian ad litem billing done, because billing is another thing that takes time and never seems to get done if I am trying to do other stuff at the same time.

It took longer than anticipated. No reason, really. Given his work-style -- write a letter, then after it is printed, decide to change it a few times... -- I should always build in an extra 50% on my estimate. But we got it done, and I also finished the billing for Evelyn's work for Sauk County, so it was a productive afternoon. I was pooped by the time I got home, though. One of the things I enjoyed about this job when I took it was I didn't sit around waiting for something to do. But every now and then, it would be nice to get a break in the action. Usually I am hard at it from the time I arrive until the time I leave.

Sunday when we were in Madison, I picked up a flyer at Best Buy that had a great deal on a notebook computer. After hemming and hawing for a couple of days, I decided to splurge, but then I found the same computer PLUS a printer/copier/scanner, a router for the net and security software for the same price at Circuit City. For the Best Buy deal, I would have had to drive back to Madison because they wouldn't ship it, but Circuit City gave me more stuff and would ship it for under four bucks. I also have to send in for the rebate, which I would not have had to do for Best Buy, but I am saving a two-hour drive plus gas. So I caved and the new one will be on its way. Now I have to deal with the new Vista operating system... And I won't be able to spend any more money until Christmas! (Not true, but you know how cheap I am.)

No comments: