Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Perspective and gratitude

Our friend (well, Tom's friend and my acquaintance) Chris is still in a slow recovery from the traumatic massive surgery he underwent a couple of months back. He or his wife post reports regularly so that folks can keep up with his progress. Here is a lengthy edited excerpt from the latest post:
Last week I took round three of chemotherapy. There were no serious side effects. Some tingling in my hands. Sensitivity to cold. Constipation for a few days, followed by diarrhea. I expect a deep fatigue, which is almost unavoidable...

The chemotherapy has become almost routine, with known effects all of which are tolerable or managed. The thinking is that I will be able to finish a full 12-cycle treatment... That's good news in terms of cancer treatment. In terms of how I experience it, this amounts to saying that I'll take poison 9 more times and we're pretty sure I'll recover each time...

We did make an emergency room visit on Saturday, but it was a very low key event. I was bleeding in my gums and it seemed the bleeding wouldn't stop. This is not unusual for someone on blood thinners...

I am up and about most days. I move a little slower than I'd like, and think twice about every new activity. But for an hour at a time I can do much of what I would like or ever did. There are three significant limitations. I have a PICC line in my right arm, which can't get wet and doesn't let me extend my arm fully. The blood thinner makes me very careful about getting a cut or bruise... And my digestive system is still adapting and having a hard time of it. The practical consequence is a trip to the bathroom every hour...

Next week Linda and Britta Christina will fly to Amsterdam and drive to Brussels to pick up Chase and accompany him through the Netherlands and home again. Six months ago I planned to make that trip and looked forward to it. But I'm not ready to travel those distances so I'll look forward to seeing Chase at O'Hare, when he arrives about two weeks from now. During that week my friend Tom will stay with me. It's not like I need a nurse all the time. But on occasion, and without a lot of warning, I need help. It is good not to be alone.

Chris
It is good for me to get these updates at a time that I am feeling frustrated by having to hassle with Circuit City and their rebate procedure. Like what's the big deal, compared to what Chris and Linda face on a daily basis? Doesn't mean that business procedures could (should?) not be more reasonable and helpful, but it's not the tragedy I can try to make it.

As someone said, "Build a bridge and get over it."

So I'm thankful that I have the energy to hassle with all this foolishness for half an afternoon. And I'm thankful that Chris is progressing, even though it is slow.

No comments: