Saturday, August 4, 2007

Soggy Sabbath

Well, we finally got some rain today -- a fairly steady rain all afternoon. I don't imagine it has amounted to more than a half inch, but every little bit helps these days. And maybe it will continue into the night and even tomorrow.

Tom went to Chicago (Evanston) yesterday to keep Chris Kimball company and to give Linda a bit of a break. She will be going to Europe for a week at the end of the month to collect one of their boys, and Tom will be staying with Chris while she is away. I think this was partly a dry run so that he has a sense of what sorts of things Chris might need. Sounds like he is moving along, but it is a slow road to recovery from such traumatic surgery, even for someone as active and fit as Chris.

On the critter front, this morning I saw a doe and a fair-sized fawn in the back yard. On the way into Reedsburg I saw the elk herd, but I hear by way of the grapevine that the elk ranch may be going out of business. I do know that they no longer offer the tours they once had. Sitting out on the front porch watching the rain, I saw that the hummingbird feeder was empty. I didn't intend to do anything about that, but after a couple of birds came by to check up on it, I broke down and refilled it. Later one of the juveniles came by. It drank so long and steady that I think I could actually see the level going down in the feeder.

As for the human feeder, although I made a meatloaf for dinner tonight, I see that the Firehouse Pizza place that closed downtown has reopened up the road from us a bit. We have seen the "Coming Soon" signs for a while and today it looks like they are actually open for business. This is the best pizza we found around here, and I hope that is still the case in their new location.

Not that either of the old men in this household need to be eating too much pizza...

No comments: