Sunday, August 26, 2007

Buddy

Helen and Jay arrived about 6:30 last night with Buddy the Dog. We went out for pizza and then to Kohl's so Helen could find some new walking shoes. They took off about 7:00 this morning on their way to visit Jay's father back east.

Buddy is a well-behaved dog. He goes outside but doesn't wander off. He is a needs-to-be-around-humans kind of animal, and he sat quietly on the garage apron while I picked tomatoes this morning. Once back in the house, he does stand at the door looking out forlornly for Jay and Helen, but at least he doesn't bark. Tom will be back tomorrow, and I know that will cheer him up. I talk to him and pet him and feed him, but I am a poor substitute for folks he's lived with for most of his life. Nonetheless, he just came into my room, because I am in here on the computer, and lay down by the bed. I know he will sleep there tonight. Just hope I don't step on him when i get up to go the bathroom.

The cats have always lived with Buddy until they came here last summer, so they are old friends, or at least acquaintances. They seem to get along fine, but they are not what I would call cozy with one another. The main thing about him being here that puts their feline noses out of joint is that their food has to be put up on the buffet or he will eat it. They act like it is the greatest inconvenience in the world to have to jump up there -- something they do easily and regularly when looking for one of us to pet them. When he goes home in ten days and their food is put back on the floor, they will act like we are moving it just to confuse them.

No comments: