Thursday, October 15, 2009

Let nothing disturb you

Today is the feast of St. Teresa of Avila, who founded the Discalced Carmelites in 1562 (nuns) and 1568 (friars). Happy feast to all the Carmelites today.

Let nothing disturb you.
Let nothing frighten you.
All things pass.
God does not change.
Patience achieves everything.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone suffices.
These lines were found on a note in Teresa's breviary when she died. It is not certain that she composed them herself, but they have come to be associated with her.

BTW, Teresa is going to be a major character in the mystery I am diligently making no progress on. She was a great writer, so ... St. Teresa, pray for me!

PS -- Chance of snow showers Friday and Saturday mornings. And, yes, it is mid-October here, too.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

You lucky lucky man........snow in OCTOBER!!!!!

Kristin said...

Poor Tom. Get well wishes go out to him. :-( Have the kitties take good care of him while he heals. My mom's dad just had that surgery done...he's doing well from what I hear. My co worker had it done too...he's blind though so I don't even know if it helped.