Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Blog timeline

I enjoy writing for the blog and reading the posts of other bloggers. This latter activity in particular has enlarged my world and made my life richer. Thank you, those of you who have contributed to my formation in this way, those who post on their own blogs and those who comment on posts here and elsewhere.

On the other hand, I think the hour approaches, is indeed near, when it will be time for me to let go of this blog. Judging from the rate of page views, I imagine within a matter of weeks or months the blog will register its 200,000th view. I have decided when that number is passed, I will say goodbye to In Dodd We Trust

I have ended other blogs in the past, and it is always a bit difficult. But when the time comes, the time comes.

I expect to continue reading other blogs but may post fewer comments.

What will I do with the time this frees up? I do not know. I expect to waste as much of it as possible!

When the day to go arrives, I will let you know. When another blogger ceases writing for a time with no explanation, I am never sure if he or she will return or if that is that. In some cases, the sudden silence has turned out to be for the saddest of reasons. I don't want to leave any uncertainty in this case. And I want to give a bit of forewarning lest it seem that my departure comes out of nowhere or lest it be attributed to some temporally proximate event. No need to wonder. It will happen simply because it is time and the purely arbitrary benchmark of 200,000 page views will have been reached.
----------------
I had planned to post this next week, but I mentioned it in a personal message to someone yesterday and thought I would go public today.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to miss you alot. I really enjoy your style of writing. Your gentle compassion. Your wisdom.
When you say Goodbye will you take your blog down?
Kato xo

Michael Dodd said...

Kato,
When I say say goodbye, I intend to leave the blog up. At some future date, I may take it down, but I have no timeline for that. One reason I will leave it up is that some of the friars check in very occasionally, and I would want them to find out what happened.

Michael Dodd said...

Kato,
PS -- One of the friars who checks in is in Australia!

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, Michael, I must admit my heart just broke a little. I completely understand, but I will sincerely miss you. I'm so grateful for what I've learned from you and for how much you have inspired me. I hope our paths cross again — although I'm not saying farewell until you do!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mitchell......I honestly teared up reading this post. Yours is always the first I go to when I open my laptop to catch up on my reading.

Maybe you could post just once a month instead? Hmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

Yeah...I really dont like giving up the things that make me happy altho I totally do understand.....sort of.......kinda. And surely if you do decide to go you will do a 200,000th view farewell post......?
Okay tearing up again so I'm leaving it at that for now.

Sunny x

Michael Dodd said...

There will definitely be a farewell post. I couldn't leave without saying goodbye! In fact, I have already drafted (and revised!) it. Thank you for your kind words.

Anonymous said...

Michael,

Sad news for us all but understandable. Blogs, like humans, have a life cycle and in this case old age was accelerated by moving from a woodland home in a village community to the restricted life of an apartment in a city with much less communication and activity.
Could I make a suggestion? Keep the blog in being but only post once a week, at the week's end, commenting on what you have done or experienced in the last seven days or posting about your insights into affairs, current or past. That way the blog won't be a burden (as it must be by now) and we will be kept happy.
Roderick