Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Slow down ...

The last couple of days I have had mild shin splints, caused no doubt by my overdoing the walking. So I am taking it easy for a few days to recuperate. No walking on the treadmill for an hour-plus or striding rapidly on hard sidewalks up and down hills or pounding around the track at the athletic club from one weight machine station to the next. Easy does it, that's the watchword.

This morning at Tom's suggestion we went to Olbrich Gardens, which provided a perfect setting for a leisurely stroll. I got some mild exercise without stressing my legs. It was a perfect day for it, sunny and warmishly cool. Or coolishly warm? As Goldilocks would no doubt have said, it was just right. A different cohort of flowers has bloomed since our last visit a few weeks ago; the trees are full and green; birds are singing -- signs posted at various points warn that nesting birds might swoop at approaching human heads to protect the young; and water splashes in fountains, over waterfalls and along artful rocky streams. It was great, easy, not empty but uncrowded. Lots of children with parents and grandparents in tow., children determined to splash in all that lovely water and parents and grandparents equally determined to prevent it.

We stopped for lunch on the way back. Tom got a bowl of chili and I got Buffalo chicken strips with blue cheese to dip them in and splurged with an order of fried cheese curds. Then home to try to take a nap, but Sundance thought that was an unjustified expectation. She got me up and then abandoned me to go sit on the balcony and watch traffic. I am making a cappuccino and will go sit in the other chair and watch with her.

Did I mention how nice it is to be retired?  

2 comments:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Well, Sundance obviously rules!

Too bad about the shin splints. Glad they're only minor and wishing you a very quick return to full activity.

glen said...

I would love to meet you and perhaps have lunch sometime when you are in the neighborhood.
As you know, SWAD is just down the street and we could indulge in Indian food.
glen