Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Buddy

I was shocked to hear about Buddy's death, although it was obvious when we visited him in May that he was quite weak.

Buddy, Florence, Phyllis and Rex were almost part of my daily life when I was growing up, living down the road not all that far. I went on and moved far away and they were no longer always there in the same way. But they were an important and valued part of my own story, and it saddens me to lose one more connection with the way life once was.

A Presbyterian minister once told me that at funerals he always preached on John 14:2 -- "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you."

The only thing we know about heaven is the only thing the One who had been there told us -- In our Father's house, there's lots of room.

I guess I hope Buddy's room is just down the hall a piece from mine. It will make it seem more like home.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

): I always liked him because he looked like Daddy Dodd but had Daddy's personality which is the best of both worlds!