Thursday, July 26, 2007

You say tomato


Tom gets up early -- around 5:00 or so -- while I like to sleep as late as possible. I wake up, too, but I lie in bed until just before 7:00 most mornings. I am of the "why stand when you can sit, why sit when you can lie down?" school on this one. And I still have plenty of time to get cleaned and shaved and dressed and breakfasted and to work early.

Last night, though, I thought maybe I should start setting my alarm earlier and getting a bit more time to do things in the A of M, so I set it for 6:45. I was going to ease into this gradually, you understand.

Naturally I was wide awake at 5:30. I tossed and turned a bit and finally surrendered to the inevitable and got up. Brushed my teeth, shaved, fed the cats. Saw what looked like a mouse kidney in the middle of the living room floor, but it turned out to be a treat-wrapped pill that Sundance has been refusing to eat, and so she had a wheezing attack last night. Checked the mouse traps -- two more dead mice. Got rid of dead mice and set out new traps. Had coffee and a bowl of cereal. Played Free Cell solitaire. Checked my email and the online news and bloggers that I routinely visit.

Then I went outside where Tom was watering the gardens. The tomatoes have suddenly starting coming into their own, and he hinted that they needed tying up. So I got a holey old dish cloth, cut strips and went out to tie the tomatoes. There are three plants -- two of which are staying nicely within or near their cages. The third is ignoring the cage completely, so I tied it up quite a bit and tied the others just to keep them on the straight and narrow.

Now I know why I have been staying in bed.
----------------
I used a blue dish cloth, but it would be perfect to cut up one of those tomato ties for this purpose...

No comments: