Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Morning animals

About 5:20 this morning I was awakened by the sound of thumping and claws scittering on the floor in the living room. A second later Cassidy, Scourge of Rodents, came flying into my bedroom, following thumps around the room and then into my bathroom where the thumping and scittering continued.

"Awfully big mouse," I thought, creeping out of bed and peeking carefully around the bathroom door.

There was Cassidy, all puffed up in the middle of the room, staring at a baby rabbit about five or six inches long, hopping around in the shower stall. I picked up the rabbit, which seemed relatively undamaged, and took it to the front door and let it go. It just cowered on the mat, but I closed the door and went back to bed. By then Tom had gotten his pants on and was coming out of his room to find out what was going on. I think he must have thought I was having a seizure or something.

I didn't really get back to sleep, of course. That would have been asking too much. When I finally got up and checked, the rabbit was gone. I assume it made it back to wherever Cassidy had found it.

I'm amazed that she was able to squeeze something that size plus her own oversized self through the cat-door. Tom thinks maybe she has a key to the front door and uses that when we aren't looking.

No comments: