Thursday, July 5, 2007

Gayfeathers, angry feathers, flowers, food and foolishness

One of the wildflower/native prairie grasses that Tom is trying to get established here is the gayfeather. It is just now starting to come into bloom and is attracting bumblebees, hummingbirds and butterflies. Yesterday I saw a Monarch butterfly on it, the first one I have seen this summer.

The hummingbirds also like another one of the purple wildflowers in the back that looks a bit like a sweet pea, but the two couples that live here fight over the hummingbird feeder out front. Apparently they are very territorial, but I only notice their noisy battles around the feeder, not around the flowers.

Tom wanted some more ground cover to put around front by the house, so we tried Wal-mart and Home Depot. Pretty sad pickings over at Wal-Mart at this point. Even their cacti looked shriveled up. Home Depot was better, but they didn't have exactly he what wanted to match what he had brought up from Chicago. We got some hostas for under the bathroom window at my end of the house and some impatiens for under his study window.

Tonight we plan to make three dishes -- lasagna, a chicken pot pie and a tuna noodle casserole -- for me to take in tomorrow morning when I go to the office. Joe is supposed to meet me there at 9:00 and pick them up to take home after he gives me my orders for the day. He and Evelyn spent all morning at the funeral home today, so I only talked to him briefly on the phone before I left at noon.

As for the foolishness, we noticed that one of the resorts here had advertised fireworks last night, but viewing was restricted to registered guests. I assume they meant seating and so on was restricted, because I'm not sure how you keep other people from seeing your fireworks display up in the sky and all. Unlesss they think they really do own the land and the sky above it...

No comments: