Monday, July 23, 2007

Ha-ha-ha-HAA-ha!

I was thinking this morning, as I sipped my coffee and gazed out of the kitchen window at the bird feeders, that I hadn't seen anything new or interessting in the way of birds lately. We are into full summer, and I suppose the migratory birds have gone on and the ones that are here are -- well, the ones that are here.

About an hour later, however, I saw two (2) pileated woodpeckers in the back of the yard. It has been quite a while since I saw one at all, and this is the first time I had seen two. I called Tom -- who was on the phone -- to check it out, and he said he had never seen two at once either. We assume it was a male and female. They look a lot alike and we weren't close enough to make out any differences, although they are so big it was easy to watch them climb up the tree and hop around for a bit before disappearing.

No comments: