Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fortune's fool

Last week I saw a program on superstition in America, and it was a bit unnerving. Seems that over half of Americans have some belief in things like astrology and such. (We all know Nancy Reagan consulted one before approving President Reagan's schedule, and she defended the practice when the news came out. FDR was afraid of the number 13 and would get upset if someone lit three cigarettes on a match.) I wonder about the statistic, though, because I think lots of folks read their horoscope for fun and not much else. Of course, we do have all those lottery people playing their lucky numbers every day -- the vast majority of whom never win the jackpot, of course.

At any rate, last night we wound up going for Chinese food. My horoscope for the month of March says, "You'll be dancing a jig all the way to the bank this month, when an unexpected windfall comes your way."

Well, any windfall would certainly be unexpected. Tom said maybe the Chinese government will decide that everyone should read my book and will buy a billion copies. Not holding my breath on that one!

Then both of us got the same fortune in our cookies: Your talents will be recognized and suitably rewarded.

Which sounds good until you think about it. Maybe my talents will be recognized as not so hot and the reward will be likewise crummy.

Tom said it reminded him of a story about a soldier in General Sherman's army who was hauled before the general for some infraction. The soldier was clearly terrified, and Sherman tried to calm him down by saying, "Don't worry. You'll get justice."

To which the solider said, "That's why I'm worried."

I had a clasmate at Marylake and in San Antonio named Ed Beachum. He used to say, "I don't care what I get, as long as it's not what I deserve."

So it's probably a good thing I'm not superstitious, huh?

BTW, did you know that 2009 has three months with a Friday 13th? February, March and November. Not that I checked or anything!

On the other hand, the first Friday 13 brought us the lovely Riley Rae, so for the Dodd clan it must be a lucky day.

No comments: