Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cats and books

If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.
- Alfred North Whitehead


Sundance and Cassidy are American Short Hair (ASH) tabbies. Since last Wednesday was Ash Wednesday, I guess they figure the next six weeks (Lent) belong to them. But then again, they pretty much assume all time belongs to them. I believe this is something that ASH tabbies share with all other cats.

One of my writing projects is a collection of short stories about a cat who belongs to (or owns, depending on point of view) the prior of a monastery. The cat's name is Gamaliel, and I guess he is probably an American Short Hair. Although I am not sure the monastery is in America.

So far I have two stories completed and a third one almost done. They are not mysteries, just stories. And they are stories for adults, I suppose, although not adult stories, of course.

If I get enough stories together, I will eventually publish a little book. I'm not sure how many I need.

I am also writing a collection of quirky short stories about a little town called Penultimate, Wisconsin.

Writing stories is hard for me. I do fairly well with descriptions, with setting a scene, with the use of words. But plotting is difficult, and a short story better have a plot. You can't just ramble around getting nowhere.

Because of the Flat Matthew project -- which will come to an end in about a week -- I have outlined a small book about the real Matthew and his day as a volunteer at the railroad. It would be a souvenir book suitable for children that would explain a lot about how the railway works. Now I have to see if John and Judi will approve. If not, I suppose I can do the same thing but with an imaginary character. It would be more fun with Matt, though, because we could get pictures of him interacting with the adults on the staff. (I figure then everyone whose picture is in it will think they have to buy one!)

Meanwhile, I am waiting to get my copy of the spring issue of Spiritual Life, which will contain one of my articles.

No comments: