Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What's happening now

Monday Tom helped Rich work on some problems he and Peggy are having with their phone system, and Peggy kindly invited us for dinner. Rich bundled up and braved the sub-zero weather to grill some pork and beef, and we enjoyed a good time with them as usual.

Yesterday Debbie came by with her mom who had not seen the house. It gave me a chance to show Debbie the proof of the book and to talk a bit about the possible library job. She is on the Board over there, and she has already put in a good word for me. Her mother liked the house and was charmed by Cassidy, until we offered to let her take the cat home. Suddenly she decided she didn't need one all that much.

Debbie also left a copy of a DVD containing a movie made by the Tuesday Night Club ladies back in the late 40s or 50s, I guess, about the threat of the Soviet Union. It was a bit like watching a political announcement put together by Aunt Bea on the old Andy Griffith Show, but it showed a sense of creativity and humor, too. Her aunt (or great aunt?) had made it, and her mother featured in it as a child and her grandmother as one of the women working the collective farm. Apparently it has been selected as one of a series of films like this for inclusion in the Library of Congress.

Yesterday was also my friend Rick's birthday. I called and left a message. I hope he was out celebrating the big day.

This upcoming weekend, Lucy and a friend from Chicago will be in Watertown for some reason -- probably has to do with the roller derby. At any rate, we are driving down to meet them for brunch on Sunday. The weather forecast looks good at the moment for traveling.

While waiting for the latest proof of the book to arrive, I am doing some editing on what I expect to be the next one. That one will probably be of interest only to Carmelites, because it will contain a biographical sketch of a sixteenth century Spanish friar, the translation I did of a small treatise he wrote on melancholy and an article commenting on part of that work as well. I don't expect any of you to run out and buy it, except for Kristin who told me she will make a collection of all the books I publish. (You may want to reconsider that promise, sweetie.)

Otherwise, it is a bright sunshiny 2 degrees (-16 C) at midmorning.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Seriously. When you get one published, let me know. I'm buying every single book you write. EVERY SINGLE ONE. No exceptions. It could be written in Latin, I don't care. I'll buy it.

Michael Dodd said...

You're sweet.