Saturday, May 7, 2016

Disjointed thoughts running through my mind this morning


 Only don't know.
~ Zen Master Seung Sahn

Whenever Richard Cory went down town,
We people on the pavement looked at him:
He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
And he was always human when he talked;
But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
"Good-morning," and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich – yes, richer than a king –
And admirably schooled in every grace:
In fine, we thought that he was everything
To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
Went home and put a bullet through his head.

~ Edward Arlington Robinson

 Go where you are celebrated, not where you are tolerated. 
 

I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.
~ James Baldwin



 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michael. I hope you're okay. I'd imagine it would be hard being a caring person living in the US at the moment. xo
Kato

Anonymous said...

Your last three images are so different but so jarring.
Kato

Michael Dodd said...

I am actually okay. It is hard to be a caring person in the US, but I suppose it has always been hard to be a caring person anywhere. A group of us were talking about our tendency to be control freaks this morning, and someone pointed out that often the desire for control masquerades as caring. Amen to that! We all need healing.

Some of the images for recent wordless posts were chosen to reflect how jarring things feel at times.

Joe said...

I love the poetry of Edward Arlington Robinson. I used to love teaching it as well.

Michael Dodd said...

Joe,
Are you familiar with Simon and Garfunkel's song based on the poem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAGKpoVFbmw

Joe said...

I am. I used to play it for my class. Music is such a great learning tool. My favorite of his poems though is Minniver Cheevey. Do you know that one?

Michael Dodd said...

"... and kept on drinking."
Yipes!

Enjoyed Robinson and Edgar Lee Masters, and I admit I often confuse them in my mind.