Sunday, November 18, 2007

Hightailing whitetails and turkey trotters

Cassidy and I woke up to gunshots this morning -- six, fairly close together. I couldn't decide if they were all from the same place or not. There are hunters on three sides of us. A little later, as I looked out over the backyard while having my coffee, a line of eight deer -- looked like six does and a couple of adolescents -- walked through. They didn't seem panicked, but they were keeping an eye out.

On my way into Reedsburg before lunch yesterday morning, I saw a truck with a couple of bucks tied to the front already. So some folks were having good luck in the first hours of the hunt.

One sad development in Wisconsin is that, due to budget cutbacks, many counties can no longer afford to process donated venison for the use of food pantries. Hunters can still donate the meat, but they themselves will have to pay to have it processed and transported to the food pantries for distribution. In many cases, this donated venison was about the only meat that pantries had to offer to the needy, once the holiday turkeys disappear.

Speaking of turkeys, two big, fat ones ran -- trotted? -- across the back this afternoon. Turkey season ended last Thursday, but I suppose the turkeys may not trust that, what with all the guns going off.

No comments: