Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Weird

When she was a little girl, Kristin told me once that I was weird.

"You've no idea," was my response -- stolen from a line spoken by Jeremy Irons as Claus von Bülow in the movie Reversal of Fortune, and later spoken by Jeremy Irons as the voice for the character Scar in the Disney movie, The Lion King.

Today I happened across an episode of the television series Weird U.S., and it was about Huntsville and all its prisons. They even had a picture of the entrance to Goree Farm. This photo is of the Walls, where Mama and Daddy both worked at one time. They did a longish segment on the old Prison Rodeo, too. I guess I had heard that it had disappeared back iin 1986, but if so, I had forgotten. It was such a fixture for October Sundays, and I still remember how much I enjoyed the years that Daddy's job took the family to Austin every Saturday before a rodeo Sunday to pick up tickets. We always ate Mexican food at El Mat (El Matamoros), saw some of the sights of the capital and got to buy a toy. It was a great adventure.

As one recent article I read about Tex-Mex food said, "Everything Tex-Mex is judged by El Matamoros standards."

Amen!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I wish I could have been. In my day, Mama Dodd was retired but Daddy Dodd wasn't quite yet. So he would go to work in Palestine...but I never got to experience anything like this. That would have been awesome!