Monday, November 19, 2007

I'm dreaming of a white ...

On the way to work this morning, I saw the albino squirrel down by the intersection of Berry and Birchwood for the first time in a while. Even better, about twenty feet down the road, I saw a second one. So maybe we'll have a whole colony going someday.

In other news, Tom made it back safely from Minnesota. He came in, set his bags down and went to see if his train would still run. It does, so at least he knows the cats and I didn't mess it up in his absence. (I'm not saying no one played with it...)

Joe didn't get a deer this weekend, but one of his grandsons who was part of his hunting party got one.

Joe's flock of sheep is having some health problems, which has made him miss work a couple of days and may keep him away for most of tomorrow morning. He was supposed to be taking lambs to market tomorrow, but it remains to be seen if he will manage that. If not, his flock just got bigger because this is the last chance before winter arrives. Next spring they won't be marketable, I guess. Not as lambs, anyway.

Evelyn brought me a turkey at work today. Long-range weather reports are getting a bit iffy for travel over the holidays, so I e-mailed Kristin and suggested they stay safely home and come visit us another time. She agreed with that plan, so we put the turkey in the freezer for a later celebration. Meanwhile, our Christmas Mountain neighbors found out none of their family will be making it for the holiday, either, and Barb wants to cook anyway. So they invited us to join their party. I think Tom plans to take a razzleberry pie, a favorite that we haven't had lately. I made some fudge over the weekend, but it may not survive until Thursday. Candy seems more like a Christmas thing than a Thanksgiving one anyway.

4 comments:

shera10 said...

Really do you american eat turkey and blueberry sauce for thanksgiving as we european people see on the movies?
What is the thanksgiving cake?
Cris

Michael Dodd said...

It's not blueberry sauce, Cris, it is cranberry sauce -- a rather tart sauce, not so much a sweet one. It is often made with some orange or other citrus fruit to give a tart and tangy flavor.

Thanksgiving is not so much a cake time as a pumpkin pie time, I think. But, of course, since it is major feasting, all sorts of desserts show up, including whatever kind of cake is a favorite. The razzleberry pie I mention is a pie made with several kinds of berries, including raspberries and blackberries.

One year in the monastery one of the brothers went a bit overboard and made fifteen pies -- apple, chocolate, cherry, pecan, mincemeat, peach, pumpkin, etc. -- which came out to about one full-size pie per friar. The sister who normally cooked for us was scandalized. What made it particularly ironic was that the brother who made all the pies was on a diet, and he made himself sick eating so much sugar after having had none for a few months.

shera10 said...

Waw!I visited 3 times the US and always enjoyed eating pies.You make them very well. The meat too is really exceptional. But I didn't know other great dishes. Maybe I am too " on budget traveler" and I never went in expensive restaurant.
In Italy you can live a year and eat every day a different dish.
What is your typical or favourite dish?

- On thanksgiving day do catholics go to mass?-
Cris

Michael Dodd said...

Asking me my favorite dish will not give you much sense of American cooking, since my favorites tend to run to Mexican and Asian foods. I like charcoal grilled chicken, rice-and-gravy, homemade ice cream, my father's fudge, my mother's baked beans. Comfort foods. I used to love steaks, but age has meant I avoid red meat and now find it hard to digest.

As for Mass, although Thanksgiving Day is not a holy day of obligation, there are beautiful special prayers and a special preface for the day, and probably more Catholics go to Mass on that day than on any of the official days of obligation, with the exception of Christmas, of course. Many places have ecumenical prayer services, too. It is one of the few holidays (the only?)to have escaped total commercialization and to have retained some of its original significance.