Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thankfulness

Over at the Episcopal Church in Baraboo, in their meeting room, there is a box for donations to a general fund. The motive for donating is supposed to be things you are thankful for, and the box has a number of things written on it as suggestions: health, children, a football victory, laughter. Among the items listed is "An answered prayer."

It always reminds me of the Garth Brooks song:
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers.
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs,
That just because he doesn't answer, doesn't mean he don't care.
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.
Some of God's gifts come in disguise, too. So as I am grateful for the blessings that are obvious -- such as the people I love and the people who love me, near and far -- I also want to be grateful this year for the unanswered prayers, for the gifts hidden inside disappointments, for the unexpected blessings of limitations and failures. And I pray for the grace to face the things that come (or don't come) with eyes open to discover the gift, whatever form it may take.

No comments: