Saturday, November 17, 2007

Snow telling

It's been a busy Saturday.

Tom had a meeting in Baraboo this morning, and from there he took off to Minnesota to see his foster son, Big John, and his wife and kids. He is Big John to distinguish him from Tom and Helen's youngest son, John, who has two friends also named John, who are called John Squared and John Cubed ... Well, it pretty much goes on an on. Having once sat in a meeting where five of us in a row were named Michael, I know what that can be like.

Anyway, Tom will be up there until Monday, so the cats and I are having some quiet time. Actually, I had to go into Madison on some errands -- some things can't be found in Sauk County -- and drove through light snow on the way down. It turned to rain in Madison, but by the time I got back, it was snow again up here. We weren't supposed to have any accumulation, but on the deck it looks like we got about a half inch. The temperature is right at freezing, so it shouldn't last.

Deer season began this morning, too, so there are lots of trucks parked alongside the roads. We keep the lights on outside at night to remind folks that there is a house here now. It will be over in a week, assuming they harvest enough deer to satisfy the DNR. If not, they will have another short season later.

While I was in Madison, I went by Pier 1 and bought two bronze figures that I had seen on sale. The original price was $60 each, but now they were marked down to $5.98 each. The young woman who checked me out couldn't believe the price, but that is what came up on the register, too. She immediately went over to get a couple for herself to give as a gift. Nice savings. They are about 30 inches high and look good against my southwestern red walls. They are called "Ethnic Man and Woman", but they look sort of Indus Valley to me. He has a turban and she has that pointy hat.

No comments: