Saturday, November 17, 2007

Brisk

Kristin mentions having no fun adjusting to New York cold.

Growing up in southeast Texas, I really was not prepared for the cold when I went to Michigan State. The February before I started, I had gone up for a scholarship competition and orientation. My winter coat was essentially a heavy but unlined thing. I had bought fur-lined gloves, but who knew about hats, scarves or mufflers and lined boots? I remember I had to walk about three blocks to the building where we took the exam, across windy and unprotected fields, freezing to death. When we all got there, they told us it was three degrees outside -- but the wind chill was 33 below. I didn't even know what wind chill was.

I guess it froze my brain, because I not only went to school there but have spent much of my adult life in New England, Chicago and Wisconsin. Here in the Dells this time of year, our average daily high is below the national average daily low.

Sigh. It's times like this I am glad the cats huddle up next to me at night.

Well, Brooklyn Branch, as one of my friends says in another context, "Don't worry, it will get better. Of course, then it will get worse."

No comments: