Friday, January 23, 2009

The Book

I can't understand why a person will take a year to write a novel when he can easily buy one for a few dollars.
- Fred Allen

Well, for what it's worth, my mystery novel will soon be available for sale on Amazon. The cost will be $12.95 (I think), plus shipping. It will not be carried in bookstores, but bookstores can order it.

For those who have not been subjected to reading the manuscript, this is the description of the book from Amazon:
THE DARK NIGHT MURDERS takes place in Pastrana, Spain in 1572 and is based on an actual incident in the life of John of the Cross, a Catholic friar and a close associate of Teresa of Avila, foundress and reformer of the Order of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. At her instigation he visits a monastery where new members are reportedly subjected to brutal physical penances. John's primary task is to correct the abuses, although Teresa has asked him to look for other problems. He is accompanied by Pedro de los Angeles, a young lay brother. John discovers that the stories of abuse are true, but before he can act an unknown youth wearing the Carmelite habit is discovered dead in the monastery. John struggles to discover the murderer against a background of suspicion, resistance, visions and political tensions in the Spanish court of King Philip II.
This is all possible through an Amazon service called CreateSpace, which does all the production and shipping and marketing through Amazon without any upfront payment by the author. It is a compromise between a regular publishing and what is sometimes called a vanity press, where the author pays to have a few thousand copies printed and then has to sell them himself. The proof copy arrived today, and there are several corrections that have to be made before it is ready to go. But it is coming soon! I'll let you know when that happy day arrives.

Don't expect to see it on any best sellers lists, but it is finally out there and I will actually make a couple of bucks if anyone buys one.

(Hint, hint.)

5 comments:

shera10 said...

Oh! I'll certainly buy it. I can't wait.
I read some Fr Cadfael's novels. Will you be the new Ellis Peters?

Michael Dodd said...

The Brother Cadfael mysteries were certainly an inspiration to me. I would love for this to turn into a series, although I will never replace Ellis Peters (may she rest in peace.)

Cynthia Dodd said...

I am excited about your new book being published! I would like an autographed copy from the "famous" author.

Kristin said...

OMG we are going to buy it now! Is it available right now????

Will you sign my copy? Or better yet my boob? :P

JOKE!

Michael Dodd said...

I will let you know when the book is available through Amazon.com, which I hope will be within the next few weeks. I have at least one more proof copy to proofread and correct, and then it should go up for sale. I'm not sure how long that last part of the process will take, but everything else has been fairly fast in my opinion. So hang on!

And I will sign the book for you, but nothing else!