Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Sunny Side of Life and Deathstalker

The winning snow sculpture at the FlakeOut Festival was this butterfly on a log, titled "The Sunny Side of Life." I was not particularly taken by it myself, and I don't think either Tom or I bothered to photograph it. I had to go by there today to take this picture, in fact.

I had mentioned to him that I wondered how the sculptures were evaluated by the judges. The one based on Picasso's Guernica was the most sophisticated, but it was basically a cube with a bas relief carved into the sides. It was well executed, but it did not require much risk structurally. The butterfly, not all that original to my way of thinking, on the other hand required real skill to get those narrow wings to work. I took a photo head-on to give you an idea. Remember this thing is about eight feet high, so those wings are tall and thin.

Tom took this nice shot of the completed "Deathstalker" scorpion. I told Kris at the library that this one interested me the most, and I don't know if that is good or bad. I said I think it may be my Texas background, since scorpions are a reality to people growing up there.

No comments: