Friday, January 30, 2009

Voices from the past

Yesterday I got an email from one of the guys I went to St. Louis University with back in 1984-85 Edgar Labagala is a Filipino priest who teaches at a seminary over there. He has a sabbatical year coming up and was looking around at various opportunities to study here in the States. He saw that I am one of the instructors for the Carmelite Studies Program in DC, and he wrote to ask me about that. Of course, I don't teach in the program for residential students, but I have lectured there over the years as a guest speaker and was able to tell him some things.

It is amazing to hear from someone after that many years. The summer after we were in St. Louis together, Edgar worked in a parish in Wisconsin and came to visit me at Holy Hill. When I was still living in Chicago, one day in 2004 I walked over to the local market and ran into another classmate from the St. Louis days. It turned out that there were two others in town, and before I left Chicago in 2006, one of them moved into the house across the street from the Carmelite house.

Very small world!

No comments: