Friday, January 16, 2009

Closed Circuit

As you may recall, I have little use for Circuit City after I purchased my laptop from them a while back. Although I must say that each individual I dealt with by phone or face-to-face was pleasant and courteous, the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I felt misled by the ad that led me to purchase from them in the first place, and I wound up having to make an extra trip to Madison to pick up a printer to replace the defective one they sent me. Then it turned out that for some reason Lexmark had given Circuit City exclusive rights to market the cartridges for that particular printer, so I had to keep going bcak to them and buying cartridges at a ridiculous price.

As a result, I am not surprised to hear that Circuit City was unable to find a buyer and is closing down completely. I am sad, however, to know that this means 30,000 jobs are being lost at some 567 locations. Since my experience with the employees was so good, and since the job market is only going to get worse before things get better, I feel bad for the folks who were trying to do a good job but who will soon find themselves in line at job fairs.

I assume someone else will soon be handling the cartridges I need for the printer, but to be honest, I can probably buy a new printer for about what I pay for two cartridges now.

Quia absurdum est. [If your Latin is a little rusty, that means "Which is absurd."]

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I believe Circuit City is the place that screwed Justin with a car stereo. I forget. It may have been Best Buy...but I always consider it Circuit City. Their "going out of business" sales are lame. NOTHING is on sale!