Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Friends

Although I have been volunteering at the library for a year, today I attended my first meeting of the Friends of the Library. I thought that all the volunteers belonged to the Friends, but apparently this is a smaller group that oversees and directs the volunteers and many of the projects, such as the library book sales and special speakers.

Anyway, not totally to my surprise, I was the only man there. When I walked in, one of them said, "Oh, we're going to have a boy!"

That speaks to both the gender and the age group involved.

It was an interesting experience, though, and I am glad to join in the fun. It will be an opportunity to network (dreadful verbing of a noun!) with people who are connected with so many other things in town, including the schools, the historical society and so on. And it will be one more thing to keep me occupied and out of trouble.

I normally work at the library on Thursday and have been thinking of going in on Friday afternoon as well; but today Kris told me to call before coming in the next couple of days. Due to the weather forecast for subzero temperatures and wind chills of 30 or more below zero, the schools and the library are likely to be closed.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Old ladies are awesome.

Just yesterday, Vincent was in Jersey working. He stopped at this diner or some place to eat lunch. He overheard these 4 ladies gossiping and catching up, old lady style. So before he left, he paid their check without them knowing.

So sweet.

Michael Dodd said...

Very sweet!