Thursday, January 15, 2009

Freezing over ...


As far as I know, it never got above zero today. Tom and I canceled dinner with the Screnocks for tonight because the wind chill forecast makes it likely that we would run into car trouble with a vehicle sitting outside for a couple of hours. One guy somewhere north of us was reporting that his diesel fuel was gelling. (Not good gelling like those annoying Dr. Scholl ads, either.)

The library, on the other hand, did open and I went in to do my volunteering this afternoon. If they're open tomorrow -- when it is supposed to get to 2 above -- I will probably go in again to help out. At the moment they don't have any regular volunteers coming on Friday afternoon, and it is a big help if someone will handle the requests for book loans to other libraries. There are no scheduled volunteers for Saturdays, and so the list of books and other items requested can just keep growing until next week. To give you an idea of what that may mean even in our small library, the list I handled this afternoon had 76 items on it.

No comments: