Monday, April 13, 2009

Because things are not always what they seem

We have been getting some more interesting birds at the feeders. The finches -- who are always with us -- have now begun to show their yellow mating plumage, and that is a nice touch. I have also seen a house finch with its rusty head out there.

This afternoon I saw the first male and female cardinal pair of the season, and we have a pair of doves around a lot. For some reason we have not had that many cardinals, but maybe this year will be different. Doves, on the other hand, are fairly common. Sometimes I have seen seven or eight at the same time in the back.

Woodpeckers are also with us all the time, but the last few days the female red-bellied woodpecker has been at the feeder several times. Although they are supposed to be in this area year-round, she is not a year-round visitor to our house. I am not sure if I have ever seen the male, but the female has been here before and I assume is part of a nesting pair.

And the cranes continue to fly over and the hawks and the crows and the ...

Well, like I say. We are seeing more kinds these days.

No comments: