Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday foolishness

1) Last night I got my bedroom all cleaned and ready for Chris and Linda, and moved into the guestroom for a couple of nights. I got up this morning, got Tom to give me a haircut, took a shower and then cleaned up the bathroom for the visitors. I had already moved my computer into Tom's office, but I keep going into my own room to use it before I remember it is not there.

2) Went to the railroad this morning to discover, happily, that Mary had finished up most of the preparation for tomorrow's season opening. I spent about a half hour getting the area behind the counter straightened up and came home. I am not sure if I will be alone in the store this weekend or not. Roberta is getting ready for some surgery next week, and I haven't heard if she plans to come in. It shouldn't matter. Spring is peeking through up here, but I don't imagine we will be swamped. I know Mary already has some other things to keep me busy if things are slow.

3) I have heard from three of my friends from my time in Maryland over the last few days. Another of my friends from those days -- can it be six years ago? -- stays in regular touch, and I am in occasional telephone contact with one of these three. The other two are more sporadic. So it was a surprise to get a card from Iowa and emails from California and DC. What a delight!
Okay, it was not a total surprise because it is connected to my forthcoming book. But I'll take what I can get!
4) Tom is doing a Greekish meal tonight for Chris and Linda: chicken kabobs on the grill, rice and his famous Greek salad. I had hoped to find baklava for dessert -- the Walmart bakery often has it around the holidays -- but had no luck. I picked up a caramel apple pie instead, but Tom reminded me that our guests often arrive with elegant cakes in hand. I may need to put in extra exercycle time over the next few days.

When we have company, he usually goes all out for breakfast, too: eggs, bacon and/or sausage, maybe pancakes...

I will definitely have to put in extra exercycle time.

3 comments:

shera10 said...

Spending our vacations in the US, Idris and I were astonished by your large breakfasts and I wonder if at home usually you eat so much at breakfast.

Michael Dodd said...

American breakfasts, based a bit on English breakfast, used to be enormous because most people were farmers who worked very hard all day long. When you eat breakfast in restaurants otday, this huge meal is often what you get. I doubt many people eat that way at home. Most probably have a bowl of cereal or some coffee and toast.

I usually have either a protein bar or maybe an English muffin with turkey sausage. Big breakfasts like the ones Tom makes for guests are rare around here, and when we have them, it means we will sit at the table half the morning talking and nibbling.

For us a "continental breakfast" of a roll and coffee does seem tiny. On the other hand, many Americans skip breakfast completely, and the medical profession is always reminding us that we should eat something in the morning.

Michael Dodd said...

PS -- I am typing this before I have even had my coffee this morning! I have to get a move on. I don't know if I will get a big breakfast, because out guests are still in bed and I have to go open the museum store today.