Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dropping like ants

Yesterday afternoon when we were all having carrot cake, a couple of black ants dropped onto Miriam's head. Earlier I had pitched a pear that had been ripening on the kitchen window because a suspicious-looking pile of crumbs led me to discover four big black ants burrowing away inside. Today I found more of them running around on the counter.

I had already put out some ant traps, but clearly more is needed. For one thing, I am going to have to stay on top of the dishes that pile up on top of the dishwasher, waiting to be put inside. The ants will get into the dishwasher, too, so I'll have to run it more often.

Where did the ants come from all of a sudden? The usual last frost date for the Dells is mid-May, more than a month away. You'd think the ants would stay in hibernation until then.

No comments: