Thursday, April 9, 2009

Maundy Thursday

The traditional English name for Thursday of Holy Week comes from the Latin word mandatum, command, from the words of Jesus in the Gospel, "A new commandment I give you." (John 13:34)

This command is acted out in Catholic churches when the presider -- priest, bishop or pope, and in some communities of women, the religious superior -- washes the feet of selected members of the community. At St. Thomas the Apostle Parish where I lived in Chicago, they had the custom of setting up several stations and anyone who wished was invited to come have their feet washed, and then to wash the feet of the next person in line, while reflective music played. It was a moving experience. In the monastery I often had my feet washed and I also, especially as superior, washed feet. It is something that is foreign to our culture, and yet it still has a power to touch me.

No comments: