Friday, April 24, 2009

Spring planting

Tom has been planting like mad this week. He put in 25 red dogwood and 25 wild plum trees yesterday, and he got 125 more little pines to put around. He is putting in all the pines so that something will be established to fill in when the poplars snap off down the line. The dogwoods and the wild plums will bring us some blossoms eventually to add to the crab apple, lilacs and forsythia. He has added a lot more day lilies this year, and those are already well established.

Peggy brought him some false spirea to add to the mix, and he put that somewhere out back. He says it spreads out like wildfire and he wanted it somewhere that it could just do what it wants on its own. I don't know what color it will be, since it ranges a bit.

Temperature may hit 80 today (26.6 C) and be sunny, but there are predictions for thunderstorms over the weekend and cooler weather. At least we seem to be safely out of the freezing weather. Maybe we can get the Zen fountain back out on the deck soon. Crummy weather will mean little business at the railroad, though, so maybe I can get a head start on the inventory.

As for moi, this morning I finished the draft of the Elijah book and that means it may actually be out in the next month or so. I have a dental appointment at noon, so I am glad I got something good accomplished to make me feel better.

No comments: