Sunday, April 26, 2009

Not-so-Good-Vibe-rations

When I was a kid, my parents always gave the cars names. The vehicles did each seem to have a different personality, but at some point the folks either quit doing this or I quit noticing. (Seems to me there was Huldy back there. A Studebaker, maybe?)

Anyway, I think of that as I hear the news that GM is apparently going to let Pontiac disappear. Since moving to Wisconsin, I have been driving Tom's 2005 Pontiac Vibe while he tools around in his red GMC pickup. The Vibe has been a great little car, getting incredible mileage on trips to Texas (close to 40 mpg!) and doing well in my more usual driving on the town and county roads around the Dells. Mama says it is the ugliest car she's ever seen, but it is pretty comfortable for short trips and lots of room for baggage. You don't want to ride in the back seat with anyone, though. Definitely no leg room. And that from a guy with short legs!

Whatever. The Vibe has had a low-key, easy-going and reliable personality. I never gave it a name, but maybe I should have.

They say that there are enough Pontiacs on the lots to last about three months. And then the Vibes will begin to disappear.

So long, good vibrations!
-----------
(For those of you too young or too ... mature ... to recognize the pop culture reference, the Beach Boys released their hit song Good Vibrations in 1966. It had a catchy beat and this strange refrain:

I'm pickin up good vibrations.
She's giving me excitations.
I'm pickin up good vibrations.
(oom bop bop good vibrations)
She's giving me excitations.
(oom bop bop excitations)
Good good good good vibrations.
(oom bop bop)
She's giving me excitations
(oom bop bop excitations)
Good good good good vibrations.
(oom bop bop)
She's giving me excitations
(oom bop bop excitations).

No comments: