Wednesday, August 13, 2014

And we don't even have a belfry!

This afternoon while I was cleaning the carpets, I noticed something under the cross-bar at the base of the dining room table. It looked like the remains of a mouse that one of the cats had brought in and left half-eaten. I got a paper towel, folded it up and pulled the furry bit out.


It wasn't a half-mouse but a small, dead bat, about the size of the one in this photograph. I guess it was something the cats brought in -- I hope it was, at least. We have seen bats outside any number of times, and I appreciate their mosquito control activity. I have never noticed one in the house, and I don't know where one would get in. They can flatten themselves out and get through very tiny spaces. We had them all the time at Holy Hill -- which does have a belfry, of course.

This year the cats did not bring in any snakes, that is, none that we saw. We will hope this is as far as their ventures outside Mus musculus and Microtus pennsylvanicus go.

No comments: