Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Only don't tell!

I am not sure if Tom is finished with his crayon art project, but it is close enough that I will share a few photos to give you an idea. The canvases are laid out on his workbench in the shop and I could not get a full-on frontal or overhead shot, but these will give you an idea.

There are nine canvases and they are supposed to go together in some way. I am not sure if the plan is for them to have spaces between them the way they are laid out now or not. The spaces allow the melted wax to dry without adjacent canvases sticking together.

 Tom has expressed some dissatisfaction with them -- which may indicate more work to come -- but I think they are simple and striking. I particularly like the contrast with the white space. The colors, of course, are more intense than the photos show, and there is texture as well. This is a different look from his large abstract paintings in which the paint completely covers the canvas.

Anyway, here are some pictures. Don't anyone tell him!


If you look in the back of the photo, you can see a small pile of crayons 
and the heat gun Tom uses to melt them.




2 comments:

Lavada said...

I love that idea!! Those colors on the white background is BRILLIANT!!!
I've been looking for movie posters for art to hang in our living room, but so far nothing. I told Paul just last week I'm going to get a giant canvas and do my own art to hang. He said..."Do it!".....Now I have an idea to start with.
Ha!!

That'll teach him!!!

Michael Dodd said...

If you want to see how to do these things, just do a search for "hair dryer art." Tom uses a heat gun, but apparently you can do it with a regular hair dryer. Lots of images online and ideas of what you can do. I am thinking of trying one myself.