Monday, August 4, 2014

Only don't know


In 1988, when my first class of novices made their profession of vows, they presented me with a t-shirt with the above design on it. The quote -- which I mentioned in an earlier post -- is from Master Seung Sahn, a Korean Zen master and founder of the international Kwan Um School of Zen—the largest (Western-based) Zen institution present in the western hemisphere. As one of the early Korean Zen masters to settle in the United States, he opened many temples and practice groups across the globe. One of his places is in Rhode Island, although I did not know that back when I was there for a year on sabbatical at Brown University. He was recognized for his charismatic style and direct presentation of Zen, an approach that many found well- tailored for a Western audience. He was known by students for his many  letters and expressions such as "only don't know." He died in 2004 at age 77.

The novices commented that they often asked me questions to which my answer had been, "I don't know." They had seen the t-shirt while on their profession retreat and decided that it would be perfect for me.

I think -- but again, I don't know -- that what the Master meant was that one must keep one's mind constantly clear, never mistakenly believing that one fully knows or possesses the truth. If I am correct -- which seems improbable and if so only in passing -- this is similar to what many call the beginner's mind, a humble willingness to be taught.

At any rate, I have been known to tell people that I have the correct answer for every question but for most questions the correct answer is, "I don't know." I suspect it would have been well for me to have realized how much more often that was the correct answer to questions that I answered otherwise. And by otherwise, I do not mean other wise, but other foolish.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few.” 
– Zen Master Shunryo Suzuki

No comments: