Tuesday, August 19, 2014

What can I tell you?


I have been working a bit every morning on the novel. It seems to be flowing, but I hope it is flowing toward resolution and not more complexity.

Next week will be my last [paid] day at the library. I am working on letting go psychologically of all the tasks that I know I will not have completed by then ...

The woman I worked with on the bookmobile called to arrange to meet for lunch next Monday. I ran across a ballad about the bookmobile that I had started when we worked together. I often made up silly songs to amuse her -- or annoy her -- and this one is based on the theme song from Gilligan's Island. I plan to finish that up and give her a copy.


Yesterday I set up a time to start up the fall sessions of tutoring with the woman I have been teaching for the last year or so. To be honest, she is doing so well that I am not sure she needs much help from me any more. Besides fine-tuning her grammar, I hope to come up with other activities outside the house to expand her vocabulary and get her talking more. One of the other librarians ran into her recently out shopping. The librarian told me later that she had been very impressed by how well the student is doing, which was gratifying because she had known the woman before we started studying. And my student recently took a new job where her manager is someone I know. He complimented her on her English and asked who was helping her with it. Very encouraging to both of us!

Tom is at the little railroad for a couple of days, filling in for a conductor who wound up in the hospital with low blood pressure caused by dieting. That guy will be back on the job tomorrow, which is good. I assume he will be more careful about what he eats. As is often the case, he is a good cook and enjoys his own cooking! Then he diets to undo what his eating has done.

We had about a half inch of rain last night, I think. They predict a slight chance of showers later today. Recently the predictions have been pretty far off: lots of "80% chance of storms, some severe" producing nice sunny days with occasional clouds. We are happy to do without the lightning, but the rain is nice to have.

And now I am rambling about the weather, which ranks only slightly above dreams in topics of interest. Enuff fer now.

No comments: