Friday, August 15, 2014

Ponders



Back in 1995, I attended a 30-day program for people preparing to enter cross-cultural ministries. At the time I was expecting to go to the new monastery in Kenya. One of the participants was a Franciscan priest, author and retreat director, who is quite well known –  Richard Rohr. He and I were in a small group together, and he wrote me a very encouraging note when our time together ended.



A few years ago I read an interview in which he spoke of five important ideas. Here they are with my reflections. Do not blame Richard for any of this.


1)  Life is hard. You saw the sad news about Robin Williams. In the past week a beloved friend of mine has tried to take his life. Another casual acquaintance has done the same. They thought life had become too hard. How does one acknowledge that life is hard -- and they both are enduring incredible difficulties and limitations -- while encouraging them not to give up? No cheap answers, please. No cheap grace.

2)  You are not that important. [This is a hard one and open to misunderstanding.] When a college roommate and I had spent the better part of a Saturday night drinking, we discovered that although it's all terribly important, none of it really matters. How do I hold both those truths at the same time? When people think they are not important in one way, they overdose. When people think they are not important in another way, their humility makes them reach out to others. What is the secret?


3) You are not in control. I notice that this does not mean NoOne is in control. Just that I am not in control. How do I accept that this is not a curse but a blessing? Sometimes when I feel I am out of control, I interpret that as meaning the world is out of control. And yet, when I wake up in the morning, the world is there. Huh.


4) Your life is not about you. Wha...? I thought even YOUR life was about me.


5) You are going to die. I do recall back in 1993 driving through Pennsylvania when it dawned on me that I am going to die. Me. It was actually a liberating moment. I decided then and there, "Well, if I'm going to die, then I guess I might as well live." I won't say that I stay liberated long, mind you. It is a lesson I have to learn -- or at least study -- every day.



1 comment:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Excellent. Simple statements that don't sum up life in stilly catch phrases.