Monday, August 11, 2014

Rev. Know-It-All



Some years back when I was working as a "spiritual counselor" -- horrid job title! -- for the local hospice, I spoke with a woman whose minister visited her every Monday. Because I sometimes found her to be a bit non-communicative, I asked her what she talked about with him.

She snorted. "Nothing," she said. "You can't talk to him. He already knows everything."

Ouch! That's a line that everyone preparing for pastoral ministry in whatever tradition or form needs to hear.

3 comments:

Lavada said...

I'm curious as to how YOU reacted to that reply of hers!!!

I'm afraid I would have been totally unprofessional and burst out howling with laughing.

I'll be writing a short blog post about my little adventure into that realm later tonight....

:-)

Michael Dodd said...

To be honest, Sunny, I do not recall what -- if anything -- I said. It was probably something nervously half-funny, like "Well, you don't have to worry about that with me. I don't know anything." Or I may have just nodded and kept my mouth shut.
I ran across this story recently among some other bits and pieces I had written, but unfortunately it did not tell -- in the words of Paul Harvey -- "the rest of the story."

Moving with Mitchell said...

Priceless!