Monday, April 13, 2015

Cross it off

Well, it was quite a day and I won't bore you with all the brutal details, but ...

I was able to find some adhesive in my father's shop and get the wallpaper tacked back up. It turns out that that particular piece has been hanging there since my parents moved in fifteen years ago. Why it wound up on the to-do list at this late date, I have no idea. But it is fixed, at least temporarily. And it took very little time and effort. So much for being voted Most Likely.

Solving the computer problem took more time and was more frustrating, but we got it fixed in the end by going back ONE MORE TIME and checking all the plugs and getting things firmly in place. And now my mother has her computer and email back! She spent time this afternoon skimming through, looking at photos of great-grandchildren and deleting lots of stuff. Her inbox is now perfectly clean and ready to receive. This is a huge deal and one that I am happy to say was accomplished without having to buy anything or pay anyone. All it cost was a couple of phone calls and a few futile visits to shops where they didn't have what I wanted and that it turned out we didn't need.

The exploded light bulb fix went quickly, safely and smoothly and now all is well there. No shocks, no falls, no blood, no bruises.

I also did some shopping around for a lawnmower, but was unable to find one my mother wanted at a price she was willing to pay. She has someone who mows the lawn for her, but she wants to be able to do some trimming when he gets behind on his work. The lawn was mowed Friday and because of the heat (it is 80 degrees -- 26.7 C) and rain, it is already starting to look a bit ragged. Rain is predicted off and on for much of the week, so it should be a shaggy mess by the time her guy gets back to it.

Still on the agenda: visit the senior center in the morning and then wait for the HVAC guy to come in the afternoon for routine servicing of the air conditioning system; take my mother and aunt out for lunch and then to Lowe's for lawn care stuff; take my mother shopping for clothes. And then it will be time to start folding up my tent and returning to the north country.

Did I mention it is 80 degrees? And 70% humidity.

No comments: