Monday, April 13, 2015

Honey do

After an enjoyable visit with Kirstin, Brandon, Jackson and Winston yesterday, today I turn my attention to my mother's list of tasks for me to accomplish (if possible) this week.

I already got the television in her bedroom working. The problem was not the television but the remote. And at some point she, or the woman who cleans for her, had unplugged the television. So that one was easily resolved. I am happy about that because it is an old boxy set that weighs a ton and sits atop a dresser. Last time I was here I maneuvered the former set off that dresser and out to the street and got the present one up there. I was not looking forward to wrestling this one down and out. At least any new ones will be much more maneuverable flat screens.

And I changed a light bulb in the hall. The changing part was easy. Getting the globe securely back in place took a bit more effort, but all is now done in that regard.

Today's main task is getting her computer back in operation. My brother and Tom, both tech types, assure me it should be a simple matter of replacing the battery. I managed to remove the battery without too much frustration and will head into town looking for a replacement. My brother set up the computer for her a few years ago, and I am trying to avoid her having to cope with Windows 8. But if necessary, we will get her a new one. The one she has is a Nickelodeon edition Dell Inspiron Mini. I gather that it was designed to be child-proof and has the trademark green slime look associated with Nickelodeon. My brother thought it would be sufficient for her email needs, but it is somewhat lacking. Except in the green slime department, where it excels.

Then we will move on to things like getting the remains of an exploded light bulb out of the ceiling fan/light fixture over her bed, repairing drooping wall paper in the small bathroom (Voted Most Likely to Be a Disaster) and shopping. 

There will be more visiting and such along the way, of course. Tomorrow I am booked to make an appearance at the Senior Center. One of the gentleman there likes my books, and I can't disappoint a fan by being a no-show.

No comments: