Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday fun

Today I got back into something like the swing of things.

This morning I went to the library for my weekly volunteer work and also met with the woman I tutor for her lesson. After that I went to nearby Reedsburg to take my former bookmobile co-worker out to lunch. Tom had worked at the railroad and then in the woods back of the house and was just coming back in when I drove up about two o'clock.

I am still dragging slightly from all my travels, and I took a short nap before getting on the computer to print out some materials for my tutoring session next week and to catch up on little things. Yesterday I spent most of the morning cleaning floors with the aid of the robot, dusting and washing the glass doors onto the deck. There is no end to house work ...

Tom is settling in for a NASCAR weekend, and I will have to find something else to entertain me. I know enough about it now to carry on a relatively intelligent conversation. Or is that is an oxymoron? But I have no interest in sitting in front of the television for a few hours watching cars go around and around and around, turning left, turning left, turning left. 

Saturday promises to be rainy -- promises? threatens? -- and I will have to find some indoor activity. I have been listening to Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Maybe I will finish that up.

I recommend the 2004 book (or the audio version that I am enjoying), but note that, since it is about the history of scientific discovery, it is already out of date in some specifics. Things like the existence of the Higgs Boson particle or Pluto's planetary status, for example. Even so, lots of information entertainingly presented. Just don't count on it for unquestioned accuracy on every point.

And another thank you to Lee for introducing me to Bill Bryson's oeuvre.

No comments: