Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Post-election check-in

Tom and I and the other workers survived the election unscathed. We had been told to expect a turnout of 20% and I think we would have easily made that, except a severe thunderstorm with hail came through an hour and a half before the polls closed and we only had one voter brave the storm to show up. As it was, we got 19.5%. A total of 231 people voted, but there were nine separate versions of the ballot and eight poll list books to juggle and keep track of. Somehow it all worked out and we got home shortly after nine. When we have national elections, I have been there as late as eleven before all is signed and sealed -- literally.

We had rain for much of the night after the storm arrived, and we certainly needed the moisture. Things are already greener, even though it is still chilly out. No rain in today's forecast, but we expect severe weather again tomorrow. Tom is taking advantage of the lull to transplant day lilies. I will devote today and tomorrow mainly to travel prep so that I can hit the road on Friday. 

The funny story about working at the polls has to do with the process for ordering our lunch. We pay for this ourselves, and one of the town workers picks it up and brings it in. I won't go into details but just let me say that it took about an hour and fifteen minutes for seven adults to make up their minds about what to order from a fast food place with a fairly limited menu. This happens every time. The only change has been that we start talking about it earlier in the day so as to be able to eat lunch before two o'clock in the afternoon. Tom and I have decided next time to pack our own lunch in a cooler and skip the drama. Then we can just watch it from the sidelines.

Now I have to get to work.

1 comment:

Moving with Mitchell said...

Oh, i can sometimes be made crazy by people who can't make a decision about what to eat. Just pick something! I'd pack my own, too.