Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Political thought

I generally avoid talking much about politics on this blog, but I had a thought as the campaigns get up and running for the presidential election next year.

I would like to ignore all of the candidates, but I realize I need to know something if I am going to vote. And I will vote. 

My plan, however, is to pay attention only to the positive reasons candidates (and their supporters) give for why I should vote for them. I will ignore to the best of my ability political speech and ads in which the sole content is why I should NOT vote for someone. I imagine this will mean I can switch channels 90% of the time when a political ad comes on television.

I would prefer to think that I can make my choice based on someone I want, someone whose policies I can support. When the process focuses my attention only on negatives, it discourages me. It may not bother you, but it makes me feel like my only choice is a lesser evil. How can that make me proud to vote?

I know this will be a challenge, because already so much of the talk is purely negative. But I have no  control over what they say. I do have some control over what I listen to and think about.

1 comment:

Kirstin Dodd said...

Yesterday in the mail, we received two letters in the mail. They were both from local politicians running for city office.

One was all about the great things that one candidate could do to improve the city, and the other was about the negatives of the candidate that I had just read so many great things about.

Needless to say, I vote at every opportunity, and i think the gal who was all positive will get my vote.

Plus I like her political views.

Too bad for the other guy. I know none of his politics but I know he doesn't like that lady.