Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day


I like that. It reminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
Actually, since St. Patrick's Day this year falls on the Monday of Holy Week, the church does not celebrate the feast today, and as a result many places had their celebrations, parties and parades sometime this past weekend. Chicago had theirs on Saturday (the Ides of March, for you Caesar fans) and dyed the river green for no good purpose, a tradition that started in 1962. Dubbed the "Irish miracle", the dye used actually goes in the river orange, and as some say, gets a leprechaun's help to then turn into its true shade of kelly green. (I just report the news; I don't vouch for it. Orange, of course, is the Protestant color in Ireland, but I think/hope this is not a sectarian issue.) New York's parade will take place today, but the cardinal just said it is a secular event, so it doesn't matter that it happens during Holy Week when the church is NOT celebrating the feast of the saint. (I ignore the fact that the cardinal always gets hot and bothered about other things having to do with the parade when he chooses to decide that it is a religious event.)

Anyway, I trust you all wore something green for the day.

No comments: