Friday, March 28, 2008

Heigh ho, heigh ho, it's off to work we go!

Well, I got the job at the bookstore. The pay is meager and the hours few, but at least it is a job for now. I was reluctant to take it because I will certainly take a better offer should one come along, say from the library. I start next Wednesday, but do not have to come in on Thursday. That's good because the Screnocks asked me to come in Thursday morning to do Evelyn's GAL billing and baby-sit the office while they are out.

Just how meager is the pay? Well, I looked up an inflation adjusting calculator, and I will be making only a bit more in comparable income than I earned when I started work in 1968 at Bookland. And in those heady days I worked far more hours than I will be getting here, even at the peak of the tourist season.

Of course, at Bookland I only got a 10% discount on books and this job will give me 30%. On the other hand, paperbacks that cost ninety-five cents in 1968 are selling for $9.95 today ...

Heigh ho, heigh ho
To make your troubles go
Just keep on singing
All day long, heigh ho

Heigh ho, heigh ho, heigh ho
For if you're feeling low
You positively can't go wrong
With a heigh, heigh ho

No comments: