Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I wish I wuz in the land uv Dixie



My friend Noni sent me this test to see if your accent is more Yankee or Dixie. I have seen other versions that are longer and more specific, but click on it and take the test if you want. It doesn't take long. I took it twice -- once trying to answer it the way I think I pronounced words as a kid and then the way I think I pronounce things now. As a kid I only rate 66% Dixie, and as an adult 64%. Considering all the places I have lived, listened and talked, I would have expected to be well below 50% Dixie today.

Click here to take Accent Test.

The map above shows one theory of the geographical distribution of regional accents. I notice that Texas is big enough to have three, maybe four represented: Gulf Southern (red), Southwestern (green), South Midland (purple) and North Midland (blue). When folks in Perryton wondered where Mama was from, it was because she probably spoke Gulf Southern and they spoke South Midland. Or wherever they had come from originally.

No comments: