Monday, March 31, 2008

Thou shalt not snivel

Snivel:
1. To sniffle.
2. To complain or whine tearfully.
3. To run at the nose.

Our refrigerator door is covered with magnets. Some are funny like the picture of a shirtless old guy holding barbells that says "Growing Old Is Not for Sissies." There is a "Don't Mess with Texas" one, and a Kilbourn Public Library schedule and lots of pictures of Tom's grandchildren.

There is also the "Thou Shalt Not Snivel" message above. I have to be reminded of that from time to time. As I whine about not getting a job with better hours and better pay, I read the papers about how food stamp usage is at a record high. One of my friends volunteers at the local food pantry, and she says they are being swamped by people in need.

I am not now, nor am I ever likely to be, on food stamps or using a food pantry. I live in a comfortable home, have plenty of clothes and delightful (most of the time) human and feline companionship. I can buy the odd trinket for my room and Tom will get the odd fountain that I think is cool. The price of gasoline keeps climbing, but I have a car to put it in and can even afford the regular oil changes. Even though I lack health insurance, I can pay my medical bills out of my savings without a real pinch. I have no financial debts other than my monthly credit card bill which I am always able to pay off in its entirety.

So my nose may be runny, but I have no sniveling rights beyond that. I just need to go take an antihistamine and act like an adult.

No comments: